Boat Bookings

Boat Bookings
Book a Boat Almost Anywhere with BOAT BOOKINGS.COM! Click on image to see more

Saturday, March 17, 2012

To Broach Your Boat in the Waves or Not To - This IS the Question!

I left the marina with strong winds coming out of the west. It didn't take too long to get out to sea where 6-10 foot waves were waiting for me. It looked like a mess out there. I had the little jib up and it sailed well over the big ten footers. Out at sea, the waves came upon you like monsters wanting to gulp you up. I had tethered myself to the lifeline and the hatches were closed. These size of waves really challenge you to be alert and careful and to make wise decisions - or else! True enough, I've been in worse. Waves that were breaking more often and that were higher and more steep. But still, these kept me on my toes! I was even able to video a little footage of the time out there. Its interesting how on video, its very hard to show how big the waves are. I believe this is because of the wave length. On video you can't see the distance between waves and thus the waves just appear to blend into the sea. Only the waves atop the bigger waves show up and these don't look too big.

While I was out there with my phone camera, I suddenly got nailed by a big breaking wave and the spray flew all over me. I quickly ducked and saved my phone. The wetness hit me in the back instead, drenching through my first layer of clothing. I remember in times past being much more intimidated by these waves and returning to the harbor after fifteen minutes or so. But I've been learning more how to deal with these waves and my fear level has decreased. So today I stayed out an hour in the craziness. It was rather fun. I did not have a lot of stress as the small jib was just the right size for the gusting wind and the boat was holding her own real well. Its when the wind starts increasing and putting too much pressure on the sails that I begin to get nervous.

I did though, have a little trouble on the way back as the boat kept wanting to head up into the strong gusting wind. The waves were now coming from behind and the wind was crossing over my beam. I realized I had not let the main sail out enough. I mean, the boat was on a beam reach already, but still the boat had almost swerved broadsides into the big waves twice. Thankfully I had been saved by the simple turn of the tiller. But if the wind comes on strong enough, the tiller is helpless to overpower the sails. That's why so much care needs to be taken to make sure the you are sailing the boat BY the sails. I've had my tiller break against a heavy wind when my sails were set wrong. So I had to let the main sheet and boom out even more (almost to a run!) so the boat wouldn't broach. One big lesson in sailing in big seas and heavy winds is to make sure the sails are helping your tiller out!

While writing this, I wanted to see what the full definition of 'broaching' was, so I looked it up. This was very interesting to me and they put it in words that are very clear and easy to understand. I really felt like I was battling all these same symptoms out at sea that they are talking about:

"A sailboat broaches when its heading suddenly changes towards the wind due to wind/sail interactions for which the rudder cannot compensate. This causes the boat to roll dangerously and if not controlled may lead to a capsize."

"Also when sailing on a dead downwind run an inexperienced or inattentive sailor can easily misjudge the real strength of the wind since the boat speed subtracts directly from the true wind speed and this makes the apparent wind less. In addition the sea conditions also falsely seem milder on this point of sail as developing white caps are shielded from view by the back of the waves and are less apparent. When changing course in a brisk wind from a run to a reach or a beat, a sailboat that seemed under control can instantly become over-canvassed and in danger of a sudden broach."
~Broach (sailing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

True enough, sailing downwind or close to it on a broad reach, is exhilarating and very different than sailing into the 'teeth' of the wind. The wind is coming mostly from behind and you often end up 'surfing' through the waves on a fast track that appears much easier than beating into the crashing waves. But its dangers are perhaps even more real than on the other tack.

~Albie
PS: if you read this article, I really appreciate your messages posted below! Thanks!! :-)

3 comments:

  1. This is from Robin Knox Johnson who single handed around the world without stop in 1969: "I have only experienced one 25m [about 80ft] wave. It was in the Southern Ocean and it swept right over the boat. Only the streamed warps prevented us from being broached or rolled and, quite honestly, I cannot remember whether a trough proceeded it or not; the wave and its breaking crest had all my attention." P186 'Knox Johnson on Sailing'.

    Knox Johnson believes more in the power of streaming warps than of using sea-anchors. He says you should use rope 20x your boat size and I think you attach the beginning of the rope first to the port stern cleat and then the other end to the starboard cleat. The drag of the long rope in the waves is what keeps you from rolling over in big waves. I wish I had know this trick when I got de-masted a while back. ;-)

    ~Albie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Broach India - Techcellence is a leading manufacturer and exporter of broach, broaching machines and optimum quality industrial spline gauges in India.

    Broach Tool | Broach Resharpening Facility




    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jessica for your comment a long while back. Sorry uts taken me forever to get back with you! :-) sailingwithalbie

    ReplyDelete

My new Mast!

My new Mast!
Because the mast is now 29 feet, I found a Catalina 27 sail that fits it real well. CLICK on PIC to go to page all about different masts on the boat!.

Sailed to Catalina

Sailed to Catalina
A view of Cat Harbor looking out at the Pacific. CLICK ON PIC TO GO TO ALBIE'S PIRATE PAGE!

After Sailing - bonfire on the beach!

After Sailing - bonfire on the beach!
Wow! It was so hot! You could cook your hotdog two feet away from the fire!

50.000 Free Visitors To YOUR site!

50.000 Free Visitors To YOUR site!
How I learned how to drive multitudes of traffic to my websites!

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Social Spark

Set Your Price. Choose your Advertisers. Sign up for SocialSpark!

Blog Directory! Added 5-16-12

  • http://www.gozoof.com

Blog Roll Center (Added 3-20-12)

Top Sailing Sites

Blog Directory 3-27-12

Blog Directory 3-28-12

Ckalari is my friend

Blog Directory 4-2-12

Sillhouette of Gaff Rig Sailboat

Sillhouette of Gaff Rig Sailboat
Closer up shot of double masted sailboat

Buttercup on the Kayak!

Buttercup on the Kayak!
Buttercup goes kayaking with me every week. Of course I usually join her! CLICK ON PIC TO SEE MORE PICTURES OF BUTTERCUP!

There you are!

There you are!
I knew she could do it and come sailing with me!

Janette & I Sailing on Anniversary

Janette & I Sailing on Anniversary

Blog Directory, Added 5-1-12

FyberSearch - Find + Be Found

Blog Directory; Added 5-2-12

Blog Directory; Added: 5-2-12

Welcome to Sailing with Albie!

I made this blog because I wanted to share my adventures at sea with all of you! Some of you may be wishing they had their own boat or just want to 'get away' even if just at home on the web. So each week I decided to write down my feelings while out at sea and share them with you. If you enjoy them, please feel free to come back here weekly and see what's new. Also please share the blog with your friends and with those who you know like sailing!



Thanks!



Albie

prepaydlegalast@yahoo.com

http://sailingwithalbie.blogspot.com/